Pages

Tuesday, 29 March 2022

 It is now 2022!  How amazing not to have written or recorded a recipe these last few years.  

And today I came as I was asked about my chicken soup recipe and thought maybe I'd put it here.  But no, not many recipes are here!  But what is interesting is that my mother's funeral recording and speeches are here! And my dad is now expected to be in his last days.  Fitting to review and consider life and death yet again.

I will post the Chicken Soup recipe separately but will write a few words here.  It is two years into the Covid pandemic with various lockdowns, restrictions, vaccinations, booster.  We had just returned from Europe as Covid continued its spread from China to Italy to Spain.  We returned  on 16 February 2020 from Madrid and not much more than a month later, Tasmania's premier stated 'we have a moat and I'm not afraid to use it'.  Tasmania did keep the pandemic at bay for the most part until 15 December 2021 when borders were opened.  

Today, 30 March 2022, there are over 2,400 new cases reported and nearly 12,000 active cases in a population of less than 500,000.  We've done a little domestic travel - to help a son and family move before a new baby arrived in April 2021 and returning to meet the new baby as well as see how much her big brother had grown, but no international travel.  Monte's mother and my dad were to be visited in 2020 as well as other family and friends across the US and in Europe.  But Mom M died, my dad stopped recognizing me, other family and friends got sick and some died.  So much has happened in these few years and Skype, FaceTime, Facebook, Messenger, Zoom and WhatsApp have really helped keep family and friends together.

Chicken Noodle Soup is a basic Mumford Medicine food!  As a child, I remember Campbell's Soup with the slithery noodles, but as a young wife and mother, it was expensive and surely couldn't be that hard to make.  What began of making three meals and soup from one chicken, became a family standard every month and especially during the winter months or when someone was sick.  In two cookbooks, it is recommended to keep the carcass, bones and any leftover vegetables, gravy, skin, whatever, to make chicken broth and soup.  It has always surprised me how much meat can be taken from the carcass and how much people often leave of the wing, leg or thigh.

I better finish writing and post the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment